So what is Palabok? It is a well known dish in the Philippines and have been part of the Filipino family meals for decades. Palabok is a noodle dish with a bold flavors of cream of mushroom and a balanced mixture of onions and garlic. Palabok is a great dish to make because it takes little effort and it is something that is cooked fast. The soft white noodles mixed in with the cruchy chicharon give it a unique texture that will make your mouth water.
Here is a simple recipe which will get you started in making your Palabok specialty!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 lb shrimp, minced [pre-cooked]
- 1 can of cream of mushroom
- 1 can of cream of chicken
- 3-4 cups of water
- powdered atchuete [a popular brand is Mama Sita’s]
- patis (fish sauce) to taste
- crushed chicharon [pork rinds]
- fried garlic [minced then fried]
- hard boiled eggs sliced
- chopped spring onions
- sliced lemon
- Heat some oil and add just enough achuete powder for color.
- Saute the onion, add ground pork and cook til brown.
- Add 1/2 c water, simmer til dry.
- Add minced shrimp.
- Add the cream of mushroom and chicken, mix well.
- Add 3-4 cups of water and let simmer for 20 mins.
- Season with patis.
- Cook noodles and drain well, then pour sauce over it and mix well.
- Top with sliced eggs, onions, lemon etc.